Establishing a Library at the Lyceum
Since its founding, DePaul University has always had library facilites or a reading room in various buildings including the Saint Vincent's College Building, the College Building (now called Byrne Hall), and Administration Hall. In 1922, a library was established in the Academy Building, and a commerce library was established at the Loop Campus in 1928.
As recollected by Helen Schnoor McClane, the growth of the University by 1929 necessitated a new library space, "There were no building funds and no available space, which problem was solved by an Act of God. A fire which destroyed the interior of the Music School on the second floor of the Lyceum Building left a hollow shell of adequate space and proximity to the other buildings to make the perfect spot for a new library." When the music school moved to the Loop, a library was opened in the Lyceum. The Irish Library was also established.
After the library and President's Office were established, the building began to be known as the Library and Administration building.